Thursday, July 12, 2012

One Step Closer

We got some good news last night followed by a good day today! Jaxson was transferred to a "big boy" crib and put in clothes! He's so much happier now, and it was so good to see him be comfortable when I got here this morning.

Speaking of when I got here, have I mentioned that Jeffrey is going to be an awesome big brother? He's such an amazing child. He stands on the chair here and leans on the crib to look at his baby brother. He's really gentle when he reaches in to touch him and he's very protective of the little guy. Watching Jeffrey interact with Jaxson warms my heart. There's still a little jealous tendencies when it comes to sharing his mommy, but that's normal and I know it will pass. Even his stutter was better today. I think that once Jax comes home, Jeffrey will have a rough couple of days but then he'll bounce back and his stutter will begin to disappear. I love that kid!

So more good news for Jaxson: he ate from a bottle today! I talked to the occupational therapist and she agreed that I could try to feed him. Voila! It took 30 minutes for him to eat 5 mL, but it's a huge step in the right direction. It just took a mama's touch to comfort him enough to relax and give it a shot. Made me feel so good! Now the plan is to try once a day for the next few days to see how he reacts. We can't do more than that because it's too much stress on his little body, but if he starts to act better about it, we can try more times during the day to feed him. It will just depend on how he acts in between feeds. They're also upping his food intake once or twice a day to get his belly stretched out and ready to eat the amounts he should be taking in. So far he's tolerating everything well and there's talk of removing his PICC line tomorrow or Saturday!

Slowly but surely Jaxson is getting rid of his IV lines and monitors. They transitioned him to a different oxygen unit today as well. They put him on a tank and he's getting 100% oxygen at 0.5 liters instead of air flow at 0.8 or 1 liter. They did that because if he has to leave the hospital on oxygen, the tank is what we would take home. So far I think it's helping him a lot! He still goes through periods where his breathing is fast, but overall it's calmed down.

There's still no timetable for when he's getting out of here, it's all still dependent on him. They would rather he didn't leave the hospital on oxygen, so they'll continue to try and wean him off of it. And he's definitely not leaving until he can eat from a bottle regularly and tolerate it. But bless his little heart, he's trying! He's fighting like a champ and making progress. As long as that keeps up, I know he'll come home eventually. I just have to be patient. And we all know how good I am at that ;) Jaxson is apparently making it his calling to teach me patience, so we'll see how I do haha.

Today has been a good day for baby Jaxson. I hope and pray it continues so we can bring him home!

No comments:

Post a Comment